- This event has passed.
Black Friday Hike at Calvert & Porter Woods, a National Natural Landmark
November 25, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
“Opt outside” on the day after Thanksgiving: Join our Executive Director for a guided walk through this old growth forest.
About this event
CILTI Executive Director Cliff Chapman is back for our popular #optoutside Black Friday hike. This time he will lead a guided nature walk through Calvert and Porter Woods Nature Preserve, near Crawfordsville. It is one of the most stunning old growth forests in the state. Some of the ancient trees measure 60 inches in diameter. Enjoy a rare chance to see a property that is only accessible with permission from the DNR Division of Nature Preserves.
What to Expect and Bring:
- Park and meet in the field adjacent to 9740 200 South, Crawfordsville.
- There are no formal trails on site and this hike may be challenging for some.
- Hike will begin and end with a ¼ mile walk across a farm field south of Calvert and Porter Nature Preserve.
- Dress in long pants thick enough to stand up to thorns, brush, insects, and cold weather (unfortunately leggings are not very protective).
- Wear closed-toed shoes that can stand up to mud.
- Please plan to arrive on time.
Please preregister through Eventbrite so we know to expect you.
Park on the roadside just west of 9740 200 South, Crawfordsville. See attached map. Please do not park in the driveway.
About National Natural Landmarks:
This National Park Service program started 60 years ago as a way to promote conservation of America’s most spectacular natural areas. Since 1962, more than 600 sites nationwide have been given the NNL honorific. Indiana is home to 30 of these nationally significant sites. Celebrate the National Natural Landmarks program’s 60th anniversary with CILTI!