An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Wednesday, repeating until May 3, 2023
We need your help pulling garlic mustard and other invasive plants at Meltzer Woods Nature Preserve so we can welcome back the native plants.
Please RSVP (so we know to expect you)
What to Expect and Bring
• Volunteers will remove the plants and roots by hand. Dress in long pants thick enough to stand up to thorns, brush, poison ivy, ticks, and mosquitos (unfortunately leggings aren’t very protective).
• Bring gardening or work gloves. If you don’t have gloves, we will provide some.
• Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
• Wear closed-toed shoes that can stand up to mud.
• Dress for the weather as we will work rain or shine.
Meltzer Woods is located near Shelbyville and is a short 35 minute drive from Indianapolis. From Indianapolis, take I74 E to IN 244 E, then turn left onto S 600 East. Staff will meet you in the parking lot. Map: @Meltzer Woods
What else can I do?
After visiting an area that has invasive weeds present, clean up before you leave the site. Make sure your clothes, boots, vehicles, and pets are seed free. Use plants native to Central Indiana in your yard and garden.