Pulling Winter Creeper at Oliver’s Woods
June 22 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Join our Stewardship team to get the preserve looking less creepy.
About this event
Please RSVP so we know you’re coming.
What to Expect and Bring:
• Volunteers will remove plants by hand.
• Dress in long pants thick enough to stand up to thorns, brush, poison ivy, ticks, and mosquitos (unfortunately leggings aren’t very protective).
• Wear closed-toed shoes that can stand up to mud.
• Bring gardening or work gloves. If you don’t have gloves, we will provide some.
• Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
• Dress for the weather as we will work rain or shine.
Please preregister through Eventbrite so we know to expect you.
Oliver’s Woods is located at 8825 River Road Indianapolis, Indiana. Please park in the parking lot adjacent to I-465 and meet staff on foot in front of the house.
More information on Wintercreeper:
Wintercreeper is a vigorous vine that invades forest openings and margins. It grows across the ground, displacing herbaceous plants and seedlings and climbs trees high into the tree canopy by clinging to the bark. Forest openings, caused by wind, insects or fire are especially vulnerable to invasion.
What else can I do?
After visiting an area that has invasive weeds present, clean up before you leave the site. Make sure your clothes, boots, vehicles, and pets are seed free. Use plants native to Central Indiana in your yard and garden.