- This event has passed.
Garlic Mustard Pull at Meltzer Woods Nature Preserve
April 26 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
About this event
What to Expect and Bring
• Volunteers will remove by hand the garlic mustard plants and roots.
• Dress in long pants thick enough to stand up to thorns, brush, poison ivy, ticks, and mosquitos (unfortunately leggings aren’t very protective).
• Wear closed-toed shoes that can stand up to mud.
• Bring gardening or work gloves. If you don’t have gloves, we will provide some.
• Face mask/cover required.
• Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
• Dress for the weather as we will work rain or shine.
Please click here to preregister via Eventbrite so we know to expect you.
Meltzer Woods is located near Shelbyville and is a short 35 minute drive from Indianapolis. From Indianapolis, take I74 E to IN 244 E, then turn left onto S 600 East. Staff will meet you in the parking lot. Map:@Meltzer Woods
More on Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata)
It is an invasive plant species that spreads into high-quality woodlands, upland and floodplain forests, not just into disturbed areas. Garlic mustard alters habitat suitability for native plants, insects and thereby birds and mammals.
What else can I do?
After visiting an area that has invasive weeds present, clean up before you leave the site. Make sure your clothes, boots, vehicles, and pets are seed free. Use plants native to Central Indiana in your yard and garden.