What to Expect and Bring:
• Volunteers will remove invasive plants by hand.
• Dress in long pants thick enough to stand up to thorns, brush, poison ivy, ticks, and mosquitos (unfortunately leggings aren’t very protective).
• Wear closed-toed shoes that can stand up to mud.
• Bring gardening or work gloves. If you don’t have gloves, we will provide some.
• Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
• Dress for the weather as we will work rain or shine.
Please click here to preregister via Eventbrite so we know to expect you.
Meltzer Woods is located near Shelbyville and is a short 35-minute drive from Indianapolis. From Indianapolis, take I74 E to IN 244 E, then turn left onto S 600 East. Staff will meet you in the parking lot. Map:@Meltzer Woods
More on Invasive Plants:
Invasive plants crowd out native plants that provide food and habitat for the insects and animals that coevolved with them. Invasives like garlic mustard, wintercreeper and honeysuckle alter habitat suitability for native plants, insects and thereby birds and mammals.
What else can I do?
After visiting an area that has invasive weeds present, clean up before you leave the site. Make sure your clothes, boots, vehicles, and pets are seed free. Use plants native to Central Indiana in your yard and garden.